Monday, May 25, 2009

The most racist place in the world

The name I use is the name I was given. I never had to do what other ethnic kids did. I didn't make my name sound easier. I wasn't a Feyz that became a Francis and I was very proud of that. Always made a point of it in conversation, "I kept my name as it should be" I would say.

I didn't necessarily correct people when they pronounced my name wrong. Though I would inwardly roll my eyes and think "Paaaaah, I can pronounce Paul, and yet they don't have the decency to properly pronounce my name, paaaaaaaah". This personal superiority has recently ended though, I have folded, I have given up and I made my name sound easier.

For this one special place I comprised almost 72% of my values. This special place is the most racist place in the world. This place is any local coffee shop.

Recently I went to a place of hate. I place I hate. This is the kind of coffee shop that doesn't call out your order, but your name. I'm sure the basis of this stupid system is to create a more jovial atmosphere, a way of trying to connect barista with customer. Instead this system leads to the most subtle form of racism! (That's right there IS an exclamation point after that statement).

I went there with my friends Jack, Tom and Deliya.

When Jack ordered his coffee (a regular flat white) he used his name.

When Tom ordered his coffee (a regular long black) he used his name).

BUT

When Deliya ordered her coffee(a Chai latte) she didn’t use her name. Deliya became Amy.

Deliya’s name isn’t Amy. Deliya doesn’t look like an Amy. The name Amy in fcat has absolutely no relation to Deliya. Yet, every time Deliya wants a coffee she isn’t Deliya, she has to become Amy.

Then I realized why I hated this coffee shop. They always sneered when I gave my order. I demanded my name be on the order and amongst the morning disorder I took up four letters of their time. When I saw what Deliya did, I decided to follow suit.
Feyz became Francis. I was bought not for thirty pieces of silver, but for one Jumbo Soy Mocha.

I relented so the sneering would stop. I gave up my name, my identity to assimilate into the coffee line. I hate to say it, but it is what I did.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5/25/2009

    really? you think feyz is strange? i just saw your name on a personalised key chain at cardiology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5/25/2009

    ps sol thinks your racist too.

    ReplyDelete